Rio 2016 Australian Gold Medallists stamps
Release date: From 5 August 2016
For each Australian gold medal performance at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games to date, Australia Post has produced a stamp in a sheetlet of 10. The stamp designs feature the athletes at their medal presentation ceremonies and have been made available for purchase within days of each presentation ceremony.
The 2016 Australian Gold Medallists Collection will comprise a sheetlet of 10 stamps for every Australian gold medal win during Rio 2016. This impressive keepsake will be on sale around the middle of September.
A blank cover will be available for collectors wishing to prepare gold medallist covers. A number of outlets around the country hold a gold medallist First Day of Issue (FDI) postmark for the convenience of collectors.
Collectors can make up their own covers, using the official blank cover available or their own envelopes. Olympic copyright and trademark restrictions apply to all private covers, and the following conditions apply to 2016 Australian gold medallist stamps and covers.
- The first day of issue is the date the stamp is available in the Post Office where purchased.
- Post Offices and the Australian Philatelic Bureau may apply the FDI postmark to gold medallist covers for a period of one month from the date a stamp is issued (available for sale from that location).
Australian gold medallist postmarking
The outlets below will have a local FDI postmark for the Australian gold medallist stamps. Each postmark has its own location and postcode, as well as a “movable” date.
FDI postmark outlets and postmarks
The following Post Offices will have a local first day of issue postmark for the Australian Gold medallist stamps
- Brisbane Qld 4000 (George St & GPO)
- Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
- Sunnybank Qld 4109
- Sydney NSW 2000 (GPO and QVB)
- Parramatta NSW 2150
- Newcastle NSW 2300
- Chatswood NSW 2067
- Adelaide SA 5000
- Perth WA 6000, St George Tce
- Melbourne Vic 3000 (Bourke St & GPO)
- Glen Waverley Vic 3150
- Canberra ACT 2600
- Corio Vic 3214
- Hobart Tas 7000 (GPO and Bathurst St)
Ordering postmarking impressions by mail
Collectors need to specify which postmark they would like applied to their cover, as follows:
- Standard FDI postmark – from any Post Office with a standard FDI postmark
- Everyday (non-FDI) postmark – from any Post Office
- Australian gold medallist FDI postmark – from the 14 listed locations, or as a full set after the Games from the Australian Philatelic Bureau.
Denomination1 x $1 (in sheets of 10)
Stamp designJohn White, Australia Post Design Studio
Product designJohn White, Australia Post Design Studio
Paper (gummed)Tullis Russell 104gsm Blue PVA/Red Phosphor
Printer (gummed)EgoTrade Pty Ltd
Stamp size35mm x 35mm
Sheetlet size148mm x 210mm
Printing processOffset lithography
Perforations14.28 x 14.28
Sheet layoutSheetlets of 10
Issue withdrawal date28 February 2016
*This content was produced at the time of the stamp issue release date and will not be updated.