Each year, Australia Post releases a Christmas stamp issue, featuring domestic and international card-rate stamps that present both traditional and secular Christmas themes.
This year’s traditional Christmas stamp designs infuse some Australian aesthetics into the Christmas story, including the Southern Cross installation and native flower motifs. The mixed media illustrations combine watercolour, gouache, ink and pencil, with a soft yet bright colour palette.
The traditional minisheet depicts the dark, holy night that is the scene for the birth of Jesus. The domestic Christmas-card-rate stamp presents Mary looking adoringly upon the baby Jesus, with a golden glow surrounding them both. The three Magi, or wise men, are depicted on the international Christmas-card-rate stamp. The Gospel of Matthew tells the story of three Magi who followed a star from the East (most likely Persia) to Bethlehem, to welcome the newborn King and present him with gifts: gold (both valuable and beautiful), frankincense (a spiritual essence) and myrrh (a sacred anointing oil). The Magi are often presented in three life stages: young, middle-aged and older, though some biblical scholars believe the Magi numbered three to represent the three known continents of Africa, Asia and Europe.
The three secular stamp designs are a folksy take on some key traditions that are enjoyed at Christmas time: putting up and decorating a Christmas tree; the giving and receiving of gifts; and, for children, writing to Santa in the hope that their Christmas wishes will be granted.
- Issue date
- 1 November 2023
- Issue withdrawal date
- 31 December 2024
- 65c (rel.) x 1, 65c (sec. se-tenant) x 2, $3.00 (int. religious & secular) x 2
- Stamp & product design
- Jo Muré, Australia Post Design Studio (secular stamps and products), Dani Poon (religious stamps)
- Dani Poon
- Paper: gummed
- Tullis Russell 104gsm Red Phosphor
- Paper: self-adhesive
- S/A Rel - Tullis Russell Red Phos PSA (P55) 100gsm Release S/A, S/A Sec - S/A Securpost MC 90 P11P Non Phos, S/A Sht10 - Raflatac Cast gloss SP34 KS90
- RA Printing (religious), EGO (secular), Rapid Labels (secular sheetlet of 10)
- Printing process
- Offset lithography, S/A Sheetlet of 10 Inkjet 1200 dpi
- Stamp size (mm)
- 26 x 37.5
- Minisheet (mm)
- 135 x 80
- Sheetlet (mm)
- 192 x 120
- 14.6 x 13.86
- Sheet layout
- Module of 50 (2 x 25 no design), (S/A Sheetlet of 10 Coloured overprint over foil)
- FDI Postmark
- Merrylands NSW 2160
- FDI withdrawal date
- 30 November 2023